Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Beginning


For some time, I have realized that I am in need of a hobby, one more constructive than sleeping. I have thought about a few things, but nothing really stuck. Until Christmas, I had no idea what hobby I would like to take up. Then, thanks to my boyfriend's sister, I was introduced to polymer clay creations. Being one who is not very familiar with different artistic mediums, I had no idea what polymer clay was. However, I made it a point to familiarize myself with the new material.

I quickly researched all the color possibilities and crafts that could be made with polymer clay. I was definitely intrigued, but I needed my own materials if I wanted to practice making mini sculptures of my own. I took a special trip to Hobby Lobby to gather my supplies, and as soon as I returned home I began experimenting.

My first creation was a small penguin charm for either a necklace or key chain. I tried to continue with the animal theme by trying to make a whale, but that endeavor was a little too ambitious.

I was a little frustrated, but I reminded myself that I am new at this, and it's going to take some time. I scrapped the whale idea and just decided to make an apple with a little worm sticking out.

Overall, I think my first attempts were a success.

I decided to start a blog to post some of my work, but also to keep track of my progress in learning this new art.

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment